top of page

The Victory Bell in St Michael's Parish Church

  • Markfield History Group
  • Jun 26
  • 3 min read

Updated: Aug 16


ree

The Victory Bell in St Michael and All Angels' Parish Church was dedicated in 1949, as a memorial to the villagers who had fallen in the Second World War.


2025 marks 80 years since the of the War, which officially ended when Japan surrendered on 15 August 1945, known as VJ Day.


A service to commemorate the 80th anniversary of VJ Day was held in the Church on 14th August 2025. All the bells were rung before the service. The Victory Bell was rung towards the end of the service. This is believed to be the first time in many years that VJ Day and the Victory Bell had been marked in this way.



How the Victory Bell came about


Towards the end of the Second World War in 1945, the Parish Meetings were mainly directed towards memorials. The 'Piece de Resistance' was to be the Victory Bell in the Parish Church.


This 6th Tenor bell was made at the John Taylor & Company Bellfoundry in Loughborough. Cast in April 1948 from bell metal bronze, the mould took four or five weeks to prepare. Some church members watched the bell being cast. It weighed 10cwts, 1qtr and 15 lbs (1,163 lbs or 527kg), with a diameter of 3 feet 2 inches (96cm).


The bell cost £308, with repairs to the existing five bells bringing the total cost to £454, equivalent to around £20,000 today.


Fundraising


Raising the money took considerable time, however. Two of the greatest fund-raisers were concerts held in the Church, with BBC organists Sandy MacPherson and Reginald Foort. Both were sell-outs and villagers queued for autographed pictures. Fundraising seems to have continued for at least three years.


ree

The Leicester Chronicle of 30 March 1946 reported on the efforts of local bell ringers to raise funds.






ree

The Leicester Daily Mercury of 2 November 1946 reported on a recital at the Church to raise funds.




On 12 January 1949, the same newspaper referenced a concert at the Memorial and Miners' Welfare Institute on Main Street, at which the British United Shoe Machinery Company Male Voice Choir sang.

ree


Display and Dedication


The bell was displayed in the Church before being launched into place in the bell tower. Children walked around and were in awe of its size. Villagers were able to see the inscription, which read: 'To the glory of God and a token of thanksgiving for victory 1939-1945.'


The bell was dedicated on 16 April 1949 by the Bishop (the Rt Revd JJ Willis) and the Rector (Revd. CIH Siviter), together with Churchwardens Mr JW Boulds and Mr SG Willars.


The words on the service sheet for the 3pm service read: ‘Grant O Lord that they who with their outward ears shall hear the sound of these bells may be aroused inwardly in their spirits and draw nigh unto thee’.


A wall-mounted board with lettering infilled in black paint bears the inscription:

AS A TOKEN OF THANKSGIVING FOR VICTORY 1939 - 1945 A NEW TENOR BELL WAS INSTALLED. DEDICATED BY THE RIGHT REV. / BISHOP J. J. WILLIS C.B.E. D.D. 16 APRIL 1949, RECTOR - REV. C. I. H. SIVITER, CHURCHWARDENS- MR. J. W. BOULDS, MR. S. G. WILLARS.



Sources for this article



Comments


Subscribe now to get notified of every new post!

© 2022 by Joshua Garner

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page